IT strategy development is an important factor in the success of modern organizations. The relevant literature states that 84% of information systems fail. Of those who achieve 40% do not achieve a return on investment while in total only 8% of successful information systems create value in the organization. The course aims to enable students to acquire the necessary knowledge about the strategy of digital systems, the design and implementation of IT strategy and the creation of business plans for the development of IT strategy.
Characteristics and challenges of digital technology, the importance of innovation and achieving comparative advantage, definition of digital strategy, relationship between digital strategy and organizational strategy, the importance and role of the digital technology director (CIO).
Resource and process analysis, competitive environment analysis, competitive threat assessment, competition analysis.
Defining vision and mission, setting goals, defining strategy: priorities, market development strategies, positioning and diversification strategies, business models, service models, revenue models, market restructuring, supply chain management capabilities, internal knowledge management capabilities, resources and organizational capabilities.
Examples of failed strategies, success factors for the implementation of the digital strategy, investment evaluation, the paradox of productivity, examples – case study.
Digital business strategy
Digital Channel Strategies, Digital Business Strategy Process Models, Case Study: Apple’s Digital Strategy.
Analysis of strategic models of digital technology, outsourcing, acquisition, mergers, evaluation of strategic models of digital technology
Examples and analysis of case studies.
Investigating the role of social networks in shaping and strengthening the digital strategy
The role of digital marketing in enhancing digital strategy, digital marketing planning, situation analysis, goal setting, strategy, tactics, customer relationship management.
For media, advertising, retail, industrial production, examples, case study.
Examples of digital strategy design
For the services sector, the welfare state, public bodies, financial institutions.
Creating a digital strategy and writing a business plan.
- Alexander Rauser, 2016, “Digital Strategy: A Guide to Digital Business Transformation”, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, South Carolina, USA, ISBN 9781519331243.
- David Rogers, 2016, “The Digital Transformation Playbook: Rethink Your Business for the Digital Age”, Columbia University Press, New York, USA, ISBN 9780231541657.
- Sangeet Paul Choudary, Marshall W. Van Alstyne and Geoffrey G. Parker, 2016, “Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets are Transforming the Economy and How to Make them Work for You”, Norton and Company Inc., New York, USA, ISBN 9780393249132.
- Don Tapscott and Alex Tapscott, 2016, “Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World”, Penguin Random House LLC, New York, USA, ISBN 9781101980132
- William Mougayar, 2016, “The Business Blockchain: Promise, Practice, and Application of the Next Internet Technology” Wiley, New Jersey, USA, ISBN: 978-1-119-30031-1